Total Pageviews

Sunday 24 July 2011

LEAVING A LEGACY

I am a thirty-something, proudly South African single mom that lives where Madiba magic is alive! 

Following Madiba’s 93rd birthday the past week on 18 July 2011, I have been inspired by his legacy to give something back to someone else. I have always had a yearning to make a positive contribution in other single parents lives, and trust that reading this blog will do just that.

Being a single parent can be extremely challenging, and if you haven’t been a single parent yourself, you will first have to walk a mile in those shoes to truly understand the demands of this role. Like a friend of mine once mentioned: “If you walk a mile in someone else’s shoe’s, you will be a mile away from them (thank goodness!) and you will want to give them their shoes back!” Lol J

I want to share my story, as our life stories become our legacy. Each of us has a story to tell and each of us have a legacy to leave. I hope that all of our stories as single parents will be inspiring – despite how sad they may have started and still may be - may we learn from it and from the mistakes we have made and apply those lessons to become better parents for our children.

During the past week, when Mr Nelson Mandela was asked if he had any regrets, having spent 27 years in prison, struggling for a cause that he believed in, his answer was: “I have no regrets, because the things I have done, have pleased my soul.”

May all of our souls be pleased by the things we do, despite our challenges, knowing that we are doing them for the greater good of a better society. Leaving a legacy that will live on in the lives of our children.

My soul is alive!

Single Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Love your post Sarah. Pls join my page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/SADSA-The-South-African-Divorce-Support-Association/325236499322 and feel free to post and interact.
    Single Nadia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your kind words Nadia. I will definitely join your page! Much love, Sarah

    ReplyDelete